Virgin Media SuperHub 2: Changing the LAN IP

We've just moved house and I called up the requested 2 weeks before the move and informed Virgin Media. The 2 weeks was sufficient time for me to arrange a Virgin Media engineer to come to our new house, on the day we moved in, and set up our services.

We originally had the old SuperHub, but the engineer replaced it with the new SuperHub (which I wasn't expecting) and so I had to reconfigure the new router with my desired settings.

In my experience, the old SuperHub was renowned for dropping the Internet connection and required a reboot to get things working again. This happened so regularly, that I had to use a timer to power the router off, once a day, and then back on again. This was done in the early hours of the morning to avoid any active Internet sessions.

Eventually I grew tired of this and decided to use the SuperHub in modem mode and connect another router with a WAN port to resolve this issue.

So with the new SuperHub 2 I decided to reduce the hardware involved with my network and just trial the new router as a router. As I have several network devices pre-configured to a different subnet to the default one the SuperHub 2 uses, I needed to change the IP addressing. When I changed the IP of the SuperHub 2 it gave the following error:

IP Conflict
LAN IP address and cable modem IP address cannot be in the same subnet.


I tried a different IP subnet and the same message appeared, how can this be?
 Well actually the message is not quite right. Really it should read something like:

IP Conflict
LAN IP address and guest network IP address cannot be in the same subnet.


That makes much more sense and immediately gives you an idea of the issue. The new SuperHub 2 provides guest WiFi network capabilities and the IP addresses of these are automatically configured, based on the LAN IP of the router. So what you need to do is change the LAN IP to a higher subnet (I used 192.168.20.1) and let the router reboot. Afterwards, you can then move the router to the lower subnet you required (in my case 192.168.4.1). This required 2 reboots of the router, but that was less hassle than changing all my networking configs for a new subnet.

3 Comments

  1. What a hero you are Neil! I was pulling my hair out with the exact same problem and got nowhere with Virgin's broadband help. In fact they told me they didn't support the advanced section of the router's settings! Very helpful. Their advice was there was a conflict with my hardware so turn everything off power cycle the router and see if that helped! It didn't so i thought i would try some self help and found your post in 10s flat! You've saved me a good few hours as, like you, had other equipment (smart Tvs, laptops, NAS boxes etc) hard set to the 192.168.4 subnet to avoid the obvious 192.168.0 standard virgin set up. Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gary... I really hate these ISP routers. Going to look at replacing it altogether one day! Please my post was able to help you.

      Delete
    2. I hate them too, £50 mid to bottom of the range netgear boxes that Virgin push as 'Super'. They are OK for free I suppose, but the hours I've spent are hours I could have been earning 4 times that, but no one else knows the complexity of my network so I can't get someone else in to sort it. Not without having to work twice as many hours to bring in a true Network Pro.
      Serves me right for trying to be clever with equipment that was meant for Joe Public! LOL
      I've even had to reutilise old virgin wifi routers as wifi extenders - Ive got a 4 storey Victorian townhouse with solid brick internal walls so apart from something like a £250+ Nighthawk I don't stand a chance with these so called Virgin 'Super' Hubs. Trouble is, it's the never ending refurbishments to the house that's stopping me being able to afford the top end gear! ironic!

      Delete