Windows 7 Professional on my Netbook

Back in August I purchased a HP Mini 110 netbook PC. Since the initial release of netbooks, I had been a little hesitant about using one because of the size of the screen and the resolution that accompanied it. I decided to take the plunge anyway because it would be handy to have a small computer that I can carry around with me.

I had previously recommended the Samsung NC10 to friends, but at the time I was purchasing mine, this model had been replaced, and I got a very good deal on the HP and a Canon DSLR camera.

The HP came with Windows XP Home, and I was very pleased to find that the resolution could be increased to 1366 x 768. Some people may think this is too small for a screen size of 10.1 inches. I have found the screen a pleasure to use and not at all too small.

Although Windows XP is one of Microsoft’s better operating systems (and I liked Vista, it just had a few problems) I have become used to the look and feel of Windows 7 as I have be using it on my other machines since Microsoft made the Public Beta available. So I decided to take the plunge and install a clean copy of Windows 7 (the RTM version). A colleague of mine installed Windows 7 on his Asus Eee netbook, which, considering it has a SSD drive, took considerably longer than mine to install and failed to install the graphics drivers correctly, causing him a few headaches whilst he tried to find drivers that would work.

As netbooks don’t have in-built CD/DVD drives, I followed this guide to install Windows 7 from a USB stick. I only had a 2GB stick available to me so I used vLite to strip some un-needed files from the installation media before following that guide.

I wasn’t sure what to expect once the installation had fully completed, but I have found the experience of Windows 7 thus far to be very close to that of Windows XP. Ok, so it probably is a little slower, but not too different that I am considering a downgrade back to Windows XP. Not yet anyway…

I will post some more about my experiences as I use the Windows 7 packing netbook more and more.

0 Comments